Document management ensures the secure and efficient storage and management of electronic files in a single convenient location by replacing volumes of cumbersome paper documents with digital files. Through the use of a document management solution, organizations can ensure the effective management of their documents by deploying dedicated software that automates workflows and improves productivity. Previously, businesses had to manually file hardcopy documents and go through the tedious process of manually searching through filing cabinets to retrieve files and individual records. However, with a document management solution your files are converted to digital versions and electronically stored. Consequently, file retrieval, management, and facilitation is simple and easy.
Benefits of Document Management:
- Document management ensures accessibility to your business information from anywhere at any time. Moreover, multiple users can edit a file simultaneously without the confusion of multiple versions – improving collaboration, reducing errors, and streamlining processes.
- Companies can restrict access to certain files or documents via role-based user permissions to ensure security. However, the right to edit documents can be restricted by users, ensuring the security of sensitive information.
- Users can track the changes made to all uploaded files. The multiple variations of documents also can be extracted for auditing purposes.
- Users can add comments, leave feedback, and add markups to flag content and provide interactive feedback for modern collaboration.
- Users do not have to waste time rummaging
How Does Document Management Work?
Different companies have different approaches and strategies for effective document management. It depends on an organization’s volume of documents, workflows, and distinct needs to determine the right solution for each business. However, the document management process may include:
- Scanning of documents and converting them to digital versions
- Optimizing storage of electronic files
- Reviewing and validating documents to ensure compliance
- Making use of keywords and metadata to improve searchability
- Setting up a workflow
- Ensuring security of documents
- Predefining retention policies (i.e. the duration for which the document will be stored)
- Archiving documents for a longer duration
- Distributing the document to your desired audience
Is your company ready to begin modernizing your business processes? Contact Verticomm today to learn more about a document management solution to help you do so the smart way.